Monday, August 17, 2009

Acting Out

Growing up my best friend and I would reenact movies. We even did them outside. In public. And one time at school we reenacted the end dance sequence to Dirty Dancing in the girls bathroom. I was Patrick Swayze. Once I made her do Gone with the Wind. I was Scarlett O'Hara and she was one of the slaves, Prissy. I made her pillowcase into a hat and her comforter into my hoop skirt. She followed me around "fanning" me off and calling me; "ma'am." Did I mention that my best friend is part black? I know it sounds so wrong but we didn't think anything of it. We were just kids playing dress up. In high school I use to get my guy friend, to dance the Virginia Reel with me to Dixie, in my front yard.

This afternoon, I relieved my childhood. Trinity decided that she wanted to reenact Cinderella. We made the invitations to the ball. We turned a sheet into an apron. I was, the Prince, the stepmother, the mice and the court messenger. It was so. much. fun. I love having a little girl. And I'm so happy she doesn't start kindergarten until next year. I get to keep her little for a bit longer.

I wonder what movies Luke will have me reenact with him?

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I did the dirty dancing scene too! I used to act out my favorite movies too mainly by myself but sometimes with friends. I'd pretend my favorite character in a movie was there with me and I would talk to them. 2 of my faves were the good witch from wizard of oz and wicket from the adventures of ewoks. Funny that Trinity is taking that on now

Chira said...

So cute Gemma! It's funny how as a grow up you always end up being the animals or "bad" characters! When I was a kid we always made up "routines" to songs which was always fun. I have to say I still wouldn't mind reenacting the Dirty Dancing scene now as an adult :)